Please use the menu below for local parish information.
Cathedrals and Shrines
|The Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown has beautiful cathedrals
located in Altoona and Johnstown. Since 1851 when it was St. John's,
the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament has served the people of God in
the city of Altoona. The present structure had its cornerstone laid in
1926 and derives its style from early renaissance architecture with its
prominent dome finding its origins in Florentine architecture. This majestic
limestone structure dominates the skyline of the city.
While a bit more modest in scope, St. John Gualbert Cathedral in Johnstown has an even longer history. The original church was built in 1835, but the current structure was not raised until after the 1889 flood. It was completed in 1895. St. John Gualbert became a cathedral on May 25, 1958.
The Diocese also has several shrines. Perhaps among the most notable are the Prince Gallitizin Chapel House and the Garden Shrine of Our Lady of the Alleghenies located adjacent to each other and the Basilica of St. Michael the Archangel in Loretto.
The Chapel House is open weekdays from 9:30 AM until 4:00 PM and Sundays from 1:00 PM until 7:00 PM during the Summer months. Every Sunday evening at 7:00 PM during the Summer, Mass is held at the Outdoor Sanctuary of Our Lady's Shrine.
For more information about our shrines, contact Rev. John D. Byrnes at 814-472-5441.